Sunday, March 28, 2010


So I haven't had a chance to finish the purse yet but I did manage to whip up a little Easter treat for Ethan today. Meet Roscoe, I named him after a pet rabbit I had growing up!

Making a sock bunny is very similar to making a sock monkey. One sock is for the legs and body, the second sock is for the ears, arms and snout. Little felt teeth, buttons and some embroidery floss and.... voila! You have a bunny!

Monday, March 15, 2010

Sweet Dreams

Here is Ethan's finished pillowcase. The pillowcase is super basic so it took me about 30 mins to sew...not too shabby!

While we are talking about is a pillowcase I made Ethan last summer when he took his first trip without Mommy. Ethan was taking a 11 day vacation with his father to NFLD. So here I am: recently separated, never been away from my son for more than 2 nights, and ridiculously stressed out the whole idea! I decided to make Ethan a little travel pillow that he could take on the flight. On the back of the pillow I made a secret flap that hid a picture of Ethan and I. This way if he missed me he could look at the picture and know that I was thinking about him. He also kissed the picture good-night every evening!

Here he is all snuggled up with his 'big boy' quilt and pillow.

Deliciously Practical

I started a couple new projects today: 1) Birdie Sling by Amy Butler 2) A pillowcase to match Ethan's summer quilt.

I will post some photos of the pillowcase soon. Until then, here is what the Birdie sling will look like when it's finished.

I originally had the exact fabric pictured above, however, I used the large floral fabric for my watercolour wall-hanging!!!!! So I had to purchase all new fabric. Here is what I picked:

Summer Loving

Ethan's summer quilt is finished!

To create this quilt I used a Ticker Tape pattern I found on Sew Mama Sew's blog. I love how bright the colours are! This being a child's quilt (i.e. prone to frequent washing) I decided to machine sew the binding, it was a pain in the butt but I think it will be far more durable.

Thursday, March 11, 2010


HAHA! 2 posts in one day! I'm making up for lost time!

Ok. I know I should be working on Ethan's quilt but I could not resist making this super cute nightie! Its sooo pretty! I did not have enough coordinating fabric at home, shocking considering how much fabric I have acquired over the last year. Instead of buying more fabric I decided to 'recycle' some of my bedroom linens (this screams 'The Sound of Music" doesn't it?). I used an old duvet cover for my nightie and I happened to have some medium white rick-rack laying around. The best part: I didn't have to pre-wash my fabric!

Here is the finished product. I think it has a kind of 'Alice in Wonderland' feel to it. Sorry the pictures did not turn out too great.

Busy, Busy, Busy

Whew! It has been a while, hasn't it?!

I have been incredibly busy teaching :) I FINALLY had the chance to teach Home Economics (yah! sewing!!) and I have been teaching the most wonderful elementary class for the last three weeks! Between marking, lesson planning and motherly duties I haven't had much time to work on any of my sewing projects. Nevertheless, Spring Break has arrived and I am looking forward to getting back to business! My main goal is to finish Ethan's summer quilt. I have 1/2 of the squares sewn on and I bought the fabric for binding so its all down hill from here, right?!

I did manage to start (and finish!) a quilted wall hanging which turned out quite wonderfully, if I do say so myself! Last month our School District had a professional development day, I was lucky enough to be invited to attend a watercolour quilted wallhanging workshop put on by a local Home Economics teacher.

I decided to do the floral wreath pattern (the other choice was a floral heart shape). I had some beautiful Amy Butler fabric at home that worked well with the pattern. This was also my first time sewing on a binding...NO ONE told me you had to hand sew the binding to the back of the quilt! My fingers did not enjoy that part but here is what the quilt looked like when it was finished: